Monday, December 1, 2008

Home Alone

Well, it is December, which means it is Christmas time! I love everything there is to love about the Christmas season: focusing on the birth of Jesus, the decorating, the lights and music, giving gifts to others, spending time with family and church family, all the parties, etc.

Another, part of this season that I really look forward to are all the classic Christmas movies: The Christmas Story, National Lampoons Christmas, Rudolph (claymation), Charlie Brown Christmas, Christmas with the Kranks, Santa Clause 1, 2, & 3, and last but least Home Alone.

Interestingly, it never gets old watching two nimrod burgalurs getting out-witted by am eight-year-old. Although, I can't help but think about the parents of that poor boy. Didn't there turn out to be like fifteen different Home Alone movies? Those have to be the most unresponsible parents of all-time! Wow! Being left home once... possibly. But, eighty-two times? Come on now! Buy that boy one of those kid-leashes during Christmas time, so that you know he is going to stay right there with you!

Well, McCauley Culkin (that eight-year-boy) was left Home Alone numerous times, and it wasn't normal at all. But, that is exactly the desire of Jesus for you during this time. As a Christian, your body has become a Temple for the Holy Spirit. It was baught and paid for by Jesus on the cross and through the resurrection. Your body, mind, soul, and life has become His home. It is really mind-boggling to meditate on the fact that God is residing inside of you. Quite simply, it is His 'home sweet home'.

This is my challenge during this Season: let Jesus be Home Alone in me. My desire is that I don't allow the trappings of a 'comercial Christmas' to come into my life and reside with the 'REAL REASON FOR THE SEASON... JESUS'.

This is Jesus' Holy-Day, not my holiday. He is the center of this time. Think in ratios: how much time will I spend shopping, compared with how much time I spend with Jesus in praying and Bible-reading? How much money will I give to Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, etc., compared with how much money I will give to Jesus through the church? How much time will I spending serving food, compared to the time I spend serving the Kingdom of God? I wonder how much effort I will put into inviting people to my parties, compared to how many people I will invite to my church?

Lord, help me make You Home Alone in this Season. There is room for no other!

I don't know... just thoughts from this Ranting Pastor!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you Pastor Shane. I wish you
would not call yourself "Ranting Pastor". You are not a Ranting Pastor. A Ranting Pastor would only
speak and share useless words. You
do not speak and share useless words.

I more than wholeheartedly agree with your statement - "As a Christian, your body has become a Temple for the Holy Spirit. It was baught and paid for by Jesus on the cross and through the resurrection. Your body, mind, soul, and life has become His home. It is really mind-boggling to meditate on the fact that God is residing inside of you. Quite simply, it is His 'home sweet home'.

This my primary focus as I teach and preach "Enlightened Christianity". I do not find this to be the primary focus of teaching
scripture from the Christian Bible in any church that I go to, but I have found over many decades of living and studying scripture that
this spiritual focus is the most important concept in Modern Christianity, an era of knowledge and wisdom, in which we can find true salvation and freedom from evil into the loving arms of God,
our redeemer through Jesus Christ,
who provides for all of our needs.

Godspeed.
Dino Quintanilla
Garland, Tx
dquinta65@gmail.com